Job Summary: Provides indirect patient care in the office setting. Greets and registers patients. Verifies patient demographic and insurance information. Performs clerical duties. Meets the communication needs of the patient/family, office staff and the medical staff. Participates in performance improvement activities
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Demonstrates Competency in the Following Areas:
- Ensures services are provided in an effective and efficient manner when providing secretarial, clerical and administrative support.
- Registers all patient using sign-in sheets; gives new patients medical forms to complete.
- Verifies patient demographic, employment and insurance information.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Supports and maintains a culture of safety and quality.
- Explains billing policies, collects copayments; refers patients without insurance to the office manager.
- Schedules new and return appointments; explains registration process and gives directions to new patients; may explain procedure preparation to patients.
- Answers the telephone in a professional and courteous manner; takes messages; directs calls to appropriate staff members.
- Photocopies patient schedule sheets each day, pulls the next day charts, prepares charts for new patients.
- Maintains daily patient log.
- Files lab and test results, files patient charts daily.
- Collects payments, writes receipts, writes payments in ledger, balances petty cash, make bank deposits.
- Validates parking tickets, calls for taxi for patient, etc.
- Maintains a good working relationship with office staff members and physicians.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Meets dress code standards; appearance is neat and clean.
- Completes annual educational requirements.
- Maintains regulatory requirements.
- Reports to work on time and as scheduled; completes work within designated time.
- Wears identification while on duty, uses computerized punch time system correctly.
- Ensures patient confidentiality.
- Complies with all organizational policies regarding ethical business practices.
- Communicates the mission, ethics and goals of the office.
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- One (1) year experience in office setting or hospital setting.
- Experience with billing and insurance preferred.
- Able to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing.
- Additional languages preferred.
- Basic computer knowledge.
- Ability to type 40 words per minute.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position without compromising patient care.