The Health Information Manager assures medical records are processed and completed timely. Assures patient privacy through appropriate release of information and maintaining department physical security. Services as Facility Privacy Official: Ensures staff are educated regarding HIPAA procedures, including new policies that are implemented. Provides HIPAA education as part of new hire orientation. Works with the CEO and the corporate HIM Director / Privacy Officer to ensure compliance with HIPAA regulations and proper investigation of events that occur within the facility.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Provides leadership and education to HIM department. Provides leadership and education to the facility pertaining to HIPAA.
• Ensures the integration of TPHA mission and values into the work environment.
• Translates organizations strategic plan into department goals and budget. Provides training, education and cross training to staff.
• Plans staffing and oversees the hiring, development and corrective action of employees.
• Leads HIM Committee ensuring there is a review of HIM performance indicators at each meeting, suspension report and identification if problematic areas.
• Monitors medical staff rules and regulations as well as external agencies for compliance and reports results to appropriate committees.
• Collaborates with other departments regarding interdepartmental issues. Works with medical staff on implementing medical staff issues related to medical records. Works with other hospital departments to ensure as needed for inter department issues and to assure HIPAA Privacy
• Addresses and resolves the most difficult problems within the department. Counsels staff regarding performance, attitude and interpersonal relationships. Addresses staff problems in a professional and timely manner.
• Provides Privacy education at New Hire Orientation, and ongoing as required and educational opportunities present.
• Manages record processing functions to ensure records are processed within 24-hours of discharge and analyzed for deficiencies, thereby facilitating the medical staff incomplete records control process and making records available with 24 hours for coding.
• Manages physician medical staff incomplete record control program by performing constant oversight and monitoring of incomplete records and suspension process, including assignment and monitoring of tasks. Assures weekly letters are sent out.
• Investigates privacy incidents according to the defined process collaboratively with the Corporate HIM Director / Privacy Officer and ensures accuracy and meeting time deadlines.
• Directs all daily department functions. Monitors department functions, progress and acts when appropriate.
• Maintains an accurate accounting of disclosures data base.
• Effectively man ages the Patient Portal process, rounding on all inpatients and tracking results.
• Ensures an accurate release of information data base is maintained along with scanned back-up.
• Other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Ability to lead and educate.
• Firm knowledge of all HIM processes, flow and interfaces.
• Understanding of how record processing impacts coding and the unbilled.
• Extensive knowledge of all aspects of the release of information process.
• Firm knowledge and understanding of HIPAA to ensure running the Privacy Program with
• The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of First Physicians and serve as a role
model within the company.
• Exhibit positive customer service behavior in every day work interactions.
• Demonstrate a courteous and respectful attitude to internal workforce and external customers.
• Communicate accurately and appropriately.
• Handle difficult situations in a discreet and professional manner.
• Hold self-accountable for professional practice.
• Participate in performance improvement activities utilizing principles to support and improve
• Demonstrate knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees and projects to achieve these
• Keep current with literature regarding changing practices, interventions and best practices.
• Assume responsibility for seeking out educational and professional opportunities for personal
learning needs and growth as well as meeting mandatory education requirements.
• Act as a preceptor as requested.
• Demonstrate excellent work attendance and actively participate in a variety of meetings and
training sessions as required.
• Adhere to the First Physicians Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards. Complies with established
policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
• Health Information Administration or Health Information Technology degree preferred.
• Equivalent experience may be considered.
• Bachelors preferred, but Associate accepted.
• RHIA or RHIT preferred
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job dutiessatisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Such accommodations must be requested by the employee/applicant to be considered.
• This job requires visual abilities, auditory abilities, must be intact to perform duties.