JOB PURPOSE: Maintain optimal functionality of providing patient medication availability for nursing and
all medication billing under the direction of a Registered Pharmacist. Responsible for obtaining and
maintaining Class IV to II drugs for patient use in the facility. Maintains inventory and reporting as well as
equipment used in the drug room.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Provide optimal medication inventory to meet patient and facility needs.
• Plans, organizes, and controls the Drug Room operations and activities.
• Maintains accurate billing and record keeping.
• Perform duties assigned by the Pharmacist that ensure quality health care delivery to all patients.
• Record and maintain all quality and performance improvement data.
• Examine medication orders for accuracy.
• Interact with nurses, physicians and other employees to ensure a smooth integration of Drug Room
services with other hospital functions.
• Order adequate supplies of pharmaceuticals for the facility.
• Receive and store incoming deliveries of medication and supplies
• Check for outdated/expired drugs on a regular basis.
• Maintain accurate and effective dating of medications.
• Restock crash carts in ER and nurse’s stations and par levels in the med room.
• Audit and review medication documentation for errors and participates in the active resolution of
problems found. Provides additional training if necessary.
• Report any errors found to risk management and consultant Pharmacist.
• At all times, be compliant with federal and state government agencies rules and regulations as well
as hospital policies.
• Participates with Human Resources on screening, interviewing and selection of new staff for the
• Provides coaching, training and/or counseling of staff if needed.
• Other duties as assigned within the scope of practice.
• The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of First Physicians and serve as a role
model within the company.
• Exhibit positive customer service behavior in every day work interactions.
• Demonstrate a courteous and respectful attitude to internal workforce and external customers.
• Communicate accurately and appropriately.
• Handle difficult situations in a discreet and professional manner.
• Hold self-accountable for professional practice.
• Interact and cope effectively with diverse populations in stressful situations resulting from trauma
• Participate in performance improvement activities utilizing principles to support and improve
• Demonstrate knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees and projects to achieve these
• Keep current with literature regarding changing practices, interventions and best practices in
• Assume responsibility for seeking out educational and professional opportunities for personal
learning needs and growth as well as meeting mandatory education requirements.
• Act as a preceptor as requested.
• Demonstrate excellent work attendance and attend and actively participate in a variety of
meetings and training sessions as required.
• Adhere to the First Physicians Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards. Complies with established
policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
• Graduate of an Accredited School of Nursing.
• Minimum of two (2) years hospital experience
• One (1) year medication nurse experience.
• Current nursing license from the State of Oklahoma Board of Nursing.
• Current BLS (or obtained within 30 days of hire)
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duties
satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions. Such accommodations must be requested by the
employee/applicant to be considered.
• This job requires visual abilities, auditory abilities, must be intact to perform duties.