Job Summary – The Health Information Management Clerk is responsible for retrieving and reconciling medical records and loose documentation from ancillary departments and nursing units. Other duties may include routine data entry of unbilled reason codes, timely scanning and indexing of late loose documentation, assisting with release of information (ROI) requests, answering phones, processing accounts assigned to the facility’s Electronic Medical Record (EMR) work queues and processing HIM mail. This position may work a day or night shift, and may work with limited supervision, depending upon the staffing needs of the facility HIM department.
Duties Include but are not limited to:
- Retrieves discharged medical records from various nursing units and ancillary departments through the hospital and reconciles them using EMR compiled reports and/or automated reconciliation to ensure that all records are accounted for and ready by the deadline for daily pickup by the courier.
- Batches, labels and routes loose reports, late charts and/or late documentation.
- Scans and indexes loose reports/documents that are identified as critical to coding and prioritizes them according to policy.
- Coordinates the retrieval and printing of medical records from storage, as well as the storage, archival and record retention of documents and/or other Alternate Media that cannot be scanned into EMR to include monitor strips (e.g. fetal monitor strips, EKGs, etc.)
- Assists customers with ROI requests, ensuring the validity and authorization of the request, and processing urgent requests on a limited basis.
- May perform routine data entry to assist in updating applicable unbilled reason codes (URCs) into appropriate systems if chart not received/reconciled within established timeframes.
- May assist with the physician suspension process by printing, stuffing and sending out notice letters when directed, making reminder calls, or recording suspension data in EMR.
- Processes facility specific HIM mail as applicable.
- May assist with physician questions related to EMR and the patient portal or other issues that may arise.
- Maintains or exceeds established productivity and quality standards.
- Practices and adheres to the Company’s Code of Conduct philosophy and Mission and Value statement.
- Other duties as assigned.
High school diploma or equivalent required
1-year experience in an office or hospital environment preferred. Previous experience in the handling of patient health information and/or medical records is strongly preferred.