JOB PURPOSE: Functions as an integral member of the laboratory by performing venipunctures and clerical tasks as an aide to the laboratory staff. Demonstrates knowledge of test procedures, equipment and computer skills. Recognizes problems; follows safety guidelines; assists with training and information systems. Must demonstrate knowledge life span growth/development and interprets data to identify age-appropriate service and special needs.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
- Obtain blood samples and prepare them for analysis and distribution according to collection and identification policies/procedures.
- Collects, receives and distributes specimens to appropriate clinical areas.
- Perform laboratory testing, including pre- and post-analytic phases.
- Prepare and maintain accurate laboratory records.
- Perform phlebotomy, including venipuncture, bleeding times, finger and heel sticks, and arterial puncture.
- Assists with report printing, result query and other related administrative duties as assigned.
- Performs all aspects of patient care in an environment that optimizes patient safety and reduces the likelihood of medical/health care errors.
- Maintains quality results by running standards and controls.
- Cleans laboratory glassware, sinks, work benches, autoclave and drying oven, using appropriate solvents, brushes and cloths.
- Maintain quality control practices in the laboratory.
- Follow laboratory policies and procedures.
- Research relevant topics and gather information/data.
- Additional duties as assigned.
- The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of First Physicians and serve as a role model within the company.
- Exhibit positive customer service behavior in every day work interactions.
- Demonstrate a courteous and respectful attitude to internal workforce and external customers.
- Communicate accurately and appropriately.
- Handle difficult situations in a discreet and professional manner.
- Hold self-accountable for professional practice.
- Participate in performance improvement activities utilizing principles to support and improve departmental goals.
- Demonstrate knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees and projects to achieve these goals.
- Keep current with literature regarding changing practices, interventions and best practice
- Assume responsibility for seeking out educational and professional opportunities for personal learning needs and growth as well as meeting mandatory education requirements.
- Act as a preceptor as requested.
- Demonstrate excellent work attendance and actively participate in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
- Adhere to the First Physicians Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards.
- Complies with established policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
- Education: High School diploma or equivalent.
- Requires general skill set in: General Chemistry, Hematology, Urinalysis, Coagulation, ABGs and Spot Testing
- Must be computer proficient
- Proven working experience as a lab assistant preferred.
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Current BLS (or obtained within 30 days of hire)
- Certified Medical Lab Assistant (CMLA) preferred.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duties satisfactorily.
- The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Such accommodations must be requested by the employee/applicant to be considered.
- This job requires visual abilities, auditory abilities, must be intact to perform duties.