This position will manage the day-to-day operations of the med/surg department. The nurse manager
promotes and restores patients’ health by developing day-to-day management and long-term planning of the patient care area; directing and developing staff; collaborating with physicians and multidisciplinary
professional staffs; providing physical and psychological support for patients, friends, and families.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Administers a variety of patient care and special procedures utilizing unique skills/training to this
• Demonstrate collaboration with the leadership team as needed to assist in development of
objectives and processes by engaging providers and staff; collaboration and coordination of
information and education; and development of nursing care management processes.
• Maintains nursing operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and
personnel policies and procedures.
• Maintains nursing staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training nurses and auxiliary staff.
• Completes patient care requirements by scheduling and assigning nursing and staff; following up
on work results.
• Maintain nursing staff scheduling and staffing.
• Maintains nursing staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning,
monitoring, and appraising job results.
• Provides information to patients and health care team by answering questions and requests.
• Resolves patient needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
• Participate in performance improvement activities and system improvements to achieve goals.
• Assist with creation of reports and presentations regarding current activities in patient centered
care and quality improvement. Review Quality reports from applicable database.
• Will demonstrate effective teaching techniques, applying adult learning principles.
• Participate in meetings and committees as requested.
• Responds quickly and accurately to changes in condition or response to treatment.
• Responsible for fostering a positive work environment.
• Contributes to the assessment of the patient.
• Participates in the development and modification of the plan of care.
• Works the floor as needed.
• Implements the appropriate aspects of the patient plan of care.
• Delegates such tasks as may safely be performed by others, consistent with educational
preparation and that do not conflict with the Oklahoma Nursing Practice Act.
• Provides safe and effective nursing care rendered directly or indirectly.
• Administers medications as stipulated by the policies and procedures of the facility.
• Communicates with all members of the healthcare team.
• Ensures that required documentation is complete and is in compliance with regulations and
• Evaluates, and regularly re-evaluates the nursing needs of the client; initiates, develops, implements
and makes necessary revisions of the client’s plan of care.
• Observes signs and symptoms and reports to the physician and/or other appropriate health
professionals as often as needed, changes in the client condition. Ensures documentation reflects.
• Responsible for keeping current in nursing trends and knowledge. Participates in In-service programs
• Ensure all safety and infection control practices are followed.
• Distributes and documents medications (including narcotics) according to established standards
• Assess and maintain required inventory of supplies and equipment on floor.
• Respond to emergency situations.
• Maintain confidentiality of client and patient information.
• Ability to think quickly and competently in stressful situations.
• Performing other duties as assigned within scope of practice.
• The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of First Physicians and serve as a role
model within the company.
• Exhibit positive customer service behavior in every day work interactions.
• Demonstrate a courteous and respectful attitude to internal workforce and external customers.
• Communicate accurately and appropriately.
• Handle difficult situations in a discreet and professional manner.
• Hold self-accountable for professional practice.
• Interact and cope effectively with diverse populations in stressful situations resulting from trauma
• Participate in performance improvement activities utilizing principles to support and improve
• Demonstrate knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees and projects to achieve these
• Keep current with literature regarding changing practices, interventions and best practices in
• Assume responsibility for seeking out educational and professional opportunities for personal
learning needs and growth as well as meeting mandatory education requirements.
• Act as a preceptor as requested.
• Demonstrate excellent work attendance and attend and actively participate in a variety of
meetings and training sessions as required.
• Adhere to the First Physicians Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards. Complies with established
policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
• Graduate of an accredited Nursing Program, BSN preferred
• Current RN license issued by the State of Oklahoma Board of Nursing
• Current BLS (or obtained within 30 day of hire)
• Current ACLS (or obtained within 30 days of hire)
• Current PALS (or obtained within 30 days of hire)
• Five (5) years of full-time RN experience in LTAC, Critical Care, ER or other comparable experience
• Two (2) years of supervisory
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duties
satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to
perform the essential functions. Such accommodations must be requested by the
employee/applicant to be considered.
• This job requires visual abilities, auditory abilities, must be intact to perform duties.