JOB PURPOSE: The radiology technician performs radiological diagnostic procedures and provides clinical expertise to ensure quality imaging services are completed properly and with patient comfort. The radiology technician is responsible for obtaining radiologic images, which are used by the physician to determine diagnosis. Is responsible for patient safety protocols. Participates in the department’s performance improvement and continuous quality improvement (CQI) activities
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
• Responsible for safe handling of equipment and films.
• Determines most suitable anatomical posture and positions and shields patients accordingly.
• Adjust controls on the x-ray machine to produce radiographs of the appropriate density, detail, and contrast of the body part.
• Position radiographic equipment at the correct angle and height over the appropriate area of a patient’s body.
• Explain procedure to patient and each step throughout. Responsible for the care and safety of patients undergoing treatment and use of equipment to minimize hazards of electric shock, burns and extraneous radiation to patients.
• Produce x-ray films of parts of the human body for use in diagnosing medical problems such as cancer or fractures.
• Read doctor’s notes as to why exam is being performed.
• Prep patient for diagnostic imaging exam. Surround the exposed area with radiation protection devices.
• Maintains production and quality of radiographs by following established standards and procedures; developing radiographs; observing radiographic results; making necessary adjustments.
• Minimizes radiation to patient and staff by practicing radiation protection techniques, using beam restrictive devices, patient shielding, and knowledge of exposure factors.
• Prepares patient for radiological procedure by positioning patient; adjusting immobilization devices; moving equipment into specified position; adjusting equipment controls to set exposure factor.
• Complies with federal, state, and local legal and professional requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
• Assists in maintaining basic records and reports.
• Documentation meets current standards and policies.
• Maintains a good working relationship within the department and with other departments.
• Other duties as requested within scope of practice.
• The individual must support the mission, vision, and goals of First Physicians and serve as a role model within the company.
• Exhibit positive customer service behavior in every day work interactions.
• Demonstrate a courteous and respectful attitude to internal workforce and external customers.
• Communicate accurately and appropriately.
• Handle difficult situations in a discreet and professional manner.
• Hold self-accountable for professional practice.
• Participate in performance improvement activities utilizing principles to support and improve departmental goals.
• Demonstrate knowledge of unit goals and is active in committees and projects to achieve these goals.
• Keep current with literature regarding changing practices, interventions and best practices.
• Assume responsibility for seeking out educational and professional opportunities for personal learning needs and growth as well as meeting mandatory education requirements.
• Act as a preceptor as requested.
• Demonstrate excellent work attendance and actively participate in a variety of meetings and training sessions as required.
• Adhere to the First Physicians Code of Conduct and Behavior Standards. Complies with established policies and procedures and all health and safety requirements.
• High school diploma or GED; Bachelors preferred
• Graduation from an AMA approved school of Radiologic Technology
• Two (2) years’ experience in radiology preferred.
• Registered with the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists (ARRT).
• Current BLS (or obtained within 30 days of hire)
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job duties satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Such accommodations must be requested by the employee/applicant to be considered.
• This job requires visual abilities, auditory abilities, must be intact to perform duties.